Nathan Lyon: Is that you, Jesus?

Have you ever sat back and thought about how people knew Jesus was their saviour.

I mean, he did some cool shit, but if he did the same shit now he’d be wearing a suit with shoulder pads and staring like a sex pest into the camera.

People were obviously easier to impress in those days, I mean, if I went back with an iPhone and a torch five minutes after Jesus, there would probably be paintings of a whiter than usual version of me half naked with a six pack and manly beard on walls around the world.

Recent Australian spinners like Jesus, they’re often sacrificed.

Recent Australian cricket fans are like medieval people, desperate for salvation.

But is Lyon actually the real deal.

I mean was today’s spell was more water into wine more than walking on water.

Because this pitch looks like it wants nothing more than wickets.

If any pitch in world cricket is going turn water into wine it’s this one.

You can almost suggest that the pitch has done more dramatic party tricks than Lyon, it turned Shane Watson into a Test bowler, that’s fucken biblical.

The Galle pitch or not, people will flock to Lyon and ask him to cure them of their spin woes.

It’s inevitable, because they have been starved for so long, well only four years, but it feels like 40 years in the desert to most of us.

It would be unfair on the back of one innings to say that Lyon is or isn’t a spin bowling messiah, yet, it will happen.

Desperate people want to believe, and Lyon’s scruffy I’ve been walking through the desert look combined with the fact he just magically appeared with no one really documenting his life before this will mean that he will thought of as a saviour.

Even if just for this one test.

The problem is Nathan Lyon is just a man, he can probably turn water into wine when conditions favour it, but he’ll drown if he tries to walk on water.

It’s also possible that he is a false prophet, that this is just some random fluke that he can never repeat again.

And don’t say that can’t happen, I’ve still got my monogrammed ‘Jason Krejza is my saviour’ dressing gown.

13 thoughts on “Nathan Lyon: Is that you, Jesus?

1. Erez Schatz says:

Just as I was commenting on (in my own cricket blog, in Hebrew) the bi-polarity of Cricket commentators, you decide that Nathan Lyon might be Jesus. However, this is not news.

2. Lolly says:

Poor Nathan Lyon, he may never bowl like that again. But he has got a nice action and is unafraid to toss it up, so they could stick with him for at least another series which would be a nice change.

3. […] Lyon, I’ll leave the last word to Jarrod Kimber, cricket writer extraordinaire, on his blog Cricket With Balls: The problem is Nathan Lyon is just a man, he can probably turn water into wine when conditions […]

4. damiths says:

Not to take anything away from Lyon but Mathews and a few others played some appalling shots. He did bowl well, with a nice loop and did in fact get a bit of drift away from the righthanders. Encouraging signs but he is no Micheal Clarke. Just yet.

5. jogesh99 says:

its Lanka without Murali – you cant lose

but why isn’t IPL getting all the credit.
    IPL should have a bowling record of its own – everytime a sub-continental team gets rammed, all the wickets should be given to the IPL (ct sharad b srinivasan) – we cant have the anglos thinking they actually played well now, can we?

6. smudgeon says:

I like to think of Nathan Lyon as potentially the latest case of the little-known disease known as Kreja-Mendis Syndrome. It only affects spin bowlers, and it can be defined as “a dude who takes bags of wickets until a) he plays in less-than-obliging conditions, or b) batsmen get over the initial shock and figure out how to dispense with his party trickery”.

As one of said Medieval People, I really do hope Nathan Lyon is going to destroy faint-hearted batsmen for the next 15 years. As someone who grew up on The Legend Of Peter Taylor (capitals & italics intended), I won’t hold my breath.

7. leadraclara says:

i disagree with all of you. i have seen him bowl in domestics. he is actually good- at least best australia could introduce after shane warne. hope they give him some space in future. WAY TO GO LYON, ROAR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Angy says:

I wonder if Jamie Cox leaving the selection panel now has religious significance.

9. […] Nathan Lyon showed that he isn’t just swish with the ball, but can handle a bat as well and the tweet world were wetting their pants over him again, just as the blog world was after day 2. I’m not kidding, check out the blogosphere updates for the 12 hours post stumps on the second day – it’s Nathan Lyon this, Nathan Lyon that. Come on, people! He’s an Aussie spinner whose name is not Shane Warne – how long can he last? (For normality, advise you visit Jrod). […]

10. jogesh99 says:

and the double-speak reaches fever pitch. techno-worshipping morons – chew on this:

11. Angy says:

pfft, I don’t worship no technology. I’m posting this with an abacus.

12. jogesh99 says:

angy
    that’s also technology where you come from…

13. Frank says:

Could Lyon be the spinner that Australia have been looking for? On that track, even Cameron White would have got wickets.