politics and cricket

“Sport and politics don’t mix”.

They don’t have to mix, they’re so incestuously intertwined that they are both permanently in a state of coitus. Right now they are going at it behind closed doors, in public view and also while driving on a highway.

Politics and cricket are awkward and passionate lovers. Because cricket is not a club sport, politics can’t help but hump away at cricket. Cricket pretends it doesn’t like it, without ever trying to fully leave it either.

The UK government policy on whether cricket ends up on free TV or Pay TV may change cricket in England for years, and the decision isn’t going to be made by cricket officials.

When Katich was dropped Stephen Smith, the defence minister (not a ropey leg spinning prospect), used his political muscle to try and stop the mass genocide being perpetrated on West Australian cricketers, apparently even the ones who play for NSWales.

Sharad Pawar works for the ICC and John Howard tried to.

In Pakistan the quickest sprinters in the country are those senators who are racing to a podium to denounce all their cricketers as fixers.

The Sri Lankan women’s team have been recruited into the armed forces because the cricket board couldn’t find a sponsor for the team. South African selectors have to deal with politics when selecting a team and Cardiff got an Ashes test based on a lot of Welsh government money.

It happens everywhere, on many different levels. Politics can even be a good thing for cricket, then a bad thing, then a terrible thing, then a divisive thing, then an ok thing and finally a meh thing.

They are definitely a thing in cricket.

I could just point out that politics in Sri Lanka are so involved that the sports minister needs to ratify the Sri Lankan captain before he officially has the job.

Or even suggest how unlikely it is that Sanath Jayasuriya just wanted to make one more comeback and the selectors thought it would be great to have him back.

The Sri Lankans who are hopping mad over on youtube, which is a great place to hop madly, are disappointed I brought politics into cricket and mocked their President.

Well, he was in cricket, and thusly mocked by me.

He could have simply ran his country in any sort of way he wanted, he could have named a cheese after him, made all men grow a moustache and started an acapella group that only covered Liberty X.

I don’t spend much time mocking the New Zealand Prime Minister (quick google search) John Key. As far as I am aware he doesn’t make his ministers ratify who the captain of their team is, and no one is expecting Martin Crowe’s comeback to end in test cricket with one final goodbye tour.

If President Rajapaksa wasn’t involved in cricket, I wouldn’t mention him. Even John Howard, who I despise in every sense, wasn’t the subject of intense mockery on here until he dared stick his infectious beak into cricket.

No one can bring politics into cricket, they’re already here.

11 thoughts on “politics and cricket

1. Santosh says:

Hear, hear. And – keep in mind that I mean this as a compliment, however back-handed it may sound – I notice your grammar and spelling have improved a bit since you got the SPIN job.

2. Wes ~PFCNFS~ says:

Sports competition is never non-political methinks, it’s like war with different means and spoils, those who pull the strings carry out the same duties and have to meet the same decisions as politicians, and oftentimes a lot of money is involved as well, which leads to even more political entanglement, so yes sport is political by nature, it’s just a matter of how much of the negative side effects you allow to creep in and undermine the principle of the best /most suitable option getting picked (whether as a player, official, venue, broadcaster, game format, mode of qualification, and so on).

3. Don’t listen to the snipers. Try to keep a hairless stiff upper lip.

4. Merge says:

This blog became terrible when the author started taking himself seriously. Sellout.

merge, I took myself seriously before you knew who I was. It’s just that while taking myself seriously I also masturbate over videos of otters having sex.

5. […] the original post here: cricket with balls » politics and cricket – join sehwagology This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged a-club-sport, and-passionate, are-awkward, […]

6. Muttley says:

NZ Govt have occasionally interfered in cricket. Such as banning a Zimbabwe tour one year because of the Mugabe situation over there. But then at the same time allowing a rugby sevens event to take place despite a messy ‘politcal coup going on over there’. That just goes to show it was all about money as everybody knows NZ is obsessed with rugby and will make more money out of a sevens tournament than two minnow teams battling it out in a sport very few New Zealanders have even heard of.

7. RS Radio says:

The pay TV debate was one area where political meddling looked like a good thing. It seemed as if the MPs were going to stick 2 fingers up to Giles Clarke and co and get the Ashes on free-view.

They now seem to have bottled it.

8. Merge says:

Hmmm. Maybe the problem lies not with you but with me. Maybe I’ve become desensitized to you. Maybe you need to do whatever the blogging equivalent of hardcore DP, gaping and bukkake is, to start making me feel alive again.

9. Howe_zat says:

I genuinely had to watch it 3 or 4 times to see if you’d actually mocked the Sri Lankan president personally.

I still can’t find where you’re supposed to have mentioned him. What gives?