TV ruins cricket, Ponting fights back

I think everyone would agree TV has ruined that cricket.

The UDRS, Tony Greig, Kerry Packer, Lalit Modi, tracer bullets and crappy cricket merchandise have been haunting us for years.

Without TV, cricket would be pure and right, a utopian sport of awesomeness.

With TV, cricket is a dreary repetitive whore who is always asking for money and regularly leaving you without climax or cuddles.

There is no doubt that TV is the worst thing to happen to cricket since Don Bradman.

I’ve always said it, there’s probably a facebook group about it.

You know I’m right, cricket has been ruined by the professionalism TV has brought in, our beautiful gentleman’s game has been blighted by microphones in stumps and up players.

We now hear grunts, swears and general boo boos, and he third wall has been brought down.

Cricket is now naked, in HD, standing before us, ever pore and orifice wide open, and we’re all to blame.

While I just complain about it, Ricky Ponting does something about it.

He’s not content lazily whining about TV, he’s hitting back.

While it is easy to misconstrue his attack on the TV in the changerooms as the actions of a fading superstar who no longer understands why he can’t perform the way he once did, it is actually attack on the symbolism of TV itself.

Ponting didn’t attack the TV out of frustration after a run out, he did it because of the way TV has ruined our great game.

So instead of taking the piss out of Ponting, we should all thank him as he has launched the first attack on this beast that has spent years greedily sucking on the wonderful teat of our great game.

Support Ponting, smash your TV with a cricket bat.

Fight the power button.

Tagged , ,

20 thoughts on “TV ruins cricket, Ponting fights back

1. Wes ~PFCNFS~ says:

LOL. And let’s not forget that TV is the only way for some people to actually get in touch with cricket. Hang ’em high!

2. Rusty says:

I’m contemplating smashing my TV set for this tournament …. perhaps get a new one for the last three rounds …

Thank Christ England can’t play against the Netherlands (this is becoming a trend), as the one-sided rubbish is too much to bear at this stage.

Interesting to see how much anti-Ponting and anti-Australia hate is spewing forth across the net and cricket blogs at the moment over this … you were right a while ago Jrod – the Aussies should just be complete arseholes all the time and forget this crap trying to be nice shit, it doesn’t work for them on or off the pitch!

3. MaverickCrew says:

Our prophet Sehwag scores 175 then tells Ravi Shastri on air that Bangladesh is not a good test team and then says everyone in the Indian team had a great day except for Sreesanth…and goes on to give an amazing press conference and JRod you have completely ignored that??
    You are loosing your touch Uncle J and u r priorities are screwed up, how can I practice Sehwagology if I don’t get sermons about our prophet from you? tsk tsk tsk

4. Deep Cower says:

I would LOVE to watch cricket on TV again – its been ages. My stupid cable company demands $200 for the WCC (in which there’s probably about 5 matches that are genuinely interesting.) Seriously, I would even put up with Ravi and Shiva – that’s how desperate I am.

5. golandaaz says:

How do we convince Ponting that Greg Chappell is evil too?

6. Rob says:

Maybe he could give back some of his salary – after all it is virtually all paid for by TV.

7. yenjvoy says:

Important to note 2 things –

1. to express solidarity with the people’s revolution kicked off by Ponting, u need to attack your TV or any TV that happens to be within range, with a box, and not a bat or some such other more honorable object. To express fullest contempt, Ponting used his box, fresh from use and unwashed. TV in Cricket is the new Egypt, and Ponting is Ell’baredee.

2. the zeal with which the Indian media has lasered in on the real underlying question here, which is – what do Australian athletes have against appliances in Indian sports facilities, because in an obviously related incident a few months ago, Aussie athletes in the New Delhi CWG village had attached defenceless Indian laundry machines and refrigerators, and now TVs.

8. Rusty says:

Yenjvoy – mate you are comedic genius!! Love it!

9. Lolly says:

I think he came in from that lazy runout and realised that Mike Hussey wasn’t on the balcony or in the changeroom and won’t be around for the entire tournament.

That’s when he realised that the Aussies are FUCKED! So he abused a telly a bit.

10. Rishabh says:

I’m starting to feel that the whole article was just to support Ponting’s TV abuse.

11. poopsie says:

Hey, hey settle down just a moment. Without TV we would not have had such enduring delights as
    this and
    this. And flogged off by Tong Grieg no less

12. Hey!! How did ‘tracerbullets’ ruin cricket? It gave us Ravi Shastri :)

13. Mkfishy says:

I thought he smashed the Telly with his box (not sure if he was still in it?!)

14. Kolkata says:

Ponting believes in “See no Evil” He couldn’t bear to see himself on TeeeVeeeeeeeeeee

15. Suprise says:

It’s all a beat up. Punter’s box just got overly amorous with the other box.

Can’t wait for the Mark Riley interview.

16. I hate TV too I love to watch match on Laptop :P

No fears TVs are smashed in India all the time, as soon as we see … { Enter any close matches, and India loses }

17. wait a minute why didn’t my Australian Dingo thingy didn’t appear.

Ahh it did now. Last two blogs were brilliant btw.

18. I heard that Duncan Fletcher was on the set the moment he got back into the room, he was on about some test at Trent Bridge a few years back.

19. Suprise says:

I don’t think this issue about Punter’s box has been plumbed deeply enough.

I reckon if I got hit in the head with PB (Punter’s Box) I’d be down for the count too, vomiting.

You know if he spits on his hands all the time you could imagine how clean his box would be.

20. guardian says:

As the report goes, the idiot’s box smashed the idiot box