Shane Watson wins

The Allan Border Medal is pretty new. Australia have been pretty handy since 2000 the list of players who have won the award is tasty.

McGrath, Waugh, Hayden, Gilchrist, and Ponting.

There is a name missing, SK Warne.

Warne probably would have won one had he played one-day cricket between 03 and 07. In 06 he was Australia’s best test cricketer and won an award that said that, but not the AB. Because the point system is allocated for all international games for the Allan Border medal, Ricky Ponting won was the winner that year.

I don’t agree with the system, the best test player should win the major award, even if that is Collin Miller.

This year the best test player was Simon the Krab Katich.

He was Australia’s most consistent player in the voting period. By last summer he had turned from an embarrassing eyesore to Australia’s best batting eyesore, and he kept that up for the year.

The fact that he won the award does tell the story of Australian cricket in 09. A recycled player well into his cricket twilight averaged 48 with the bat and was Australia’s best test player.

Australia’s best player in all forms of the game was Shane Watson. In one day cricket he was destructive with the bat and ok with the ball. In test cricket he was savage with the bat and handy with the ball.

Other than his occasional moments of monumental stupidity, which we all have (I once shaved my head but left my fringe), he has been a force.

It hasn’t always been pretty, during the year he has traded metrosexual insults with Jimmy Anderson, made missing a test hundred an artform, abused Gayle like a 3 year old would, and stalked Phil Hughes spot like a CIA assassin.

But the big bastard is the best-performed Australian cricketer in all 3 formats of the game (had he played in more tests he probably would have won the test award too).

They give you the medal for that sort of hi-jinx.

He deserves it, doesn’t mean the whole world will suddenly warm to him.

Ofcourse the real winner of the night was Haley Rich Bracken (whose name I had to look up when writing this) for wearing a mermaid costume that should help her singing career.

Tagged , , , , ,

0 thoughts on “Shane Watson wins

1. Rishabh says:

That event looked like a prom, wonder if Hauritz was there?
    .-= Rishabh´s last blog ..A day for Sehwag, Sachin and Test cricket. =-.

2. Vim says:

This is what we’ve come to. Shane Watson winning awards that the other Shane couldn’t .

And who in their right minds would pick a 24-year-old as Young Cricketer of the Year?

Considering there are actual young cricketers around?

3. Iqbal says:

lol, i bet u had a hard time writing this article uncle J

4. LL says:

Back when the Ashes were on I told you he was good enough to open. That’s a big fuck you AB medal to chew on.

Damn Haley’s got a great smile. It’s strange, as you’d think Nathan would have a bigger one.

5. Josh says:

Shane Watson, another thoroughly slappable cricketer. Good player though. He can come to Surrey if he likes, can someone get that message to him?

6. steve says:

He’s still a twat, AB medal or not.

Haley looked stunning. Outdid the Bingle, which was probably the point.

7. Wes says:

Congratulations Michael Klinger, well deserved! I hope he will get a chance in the national side in the near future.
    .-= Wes´s last blog ..Seventoes fails again =-.

8. jamie64 says:

Nope, the Hewbrew Hammer has no chance, not with the likes of ‘Future of Australian Cricket’ Smith being called up to the one day side.

In other news, ‘Ex Future of Australian Cricket’ Hughes made a scratchy ton against Victoria.

9. Pete says:

Apparently Hugehs was close to being dropped from the NSW squad. A vile and abominable year for NSW all round, almost as bad as the Violent Femmes.

10. Deep Cower says:

Is there any place I can watch the entire thing? I watched a youtube clip and saw Watson choke. You know, with emotion.

11. Matt says:

Risbah, Hauris was there looking like a cabbage patch doll version of Herman Munster

12. Matt says:

Lol, he did seem to choke a bit- shades of trying to make his first ton – wasn’t terribly arrogant tho- almost likeable…

13. Rishabh says:

That’s a whole new level of ugly…
    and it’s Rishabh btw, not Risbah, that’s too close to Misbah.
    .-= Rishabh´s last blog ..A day for Sehwag, Sachin and Test cricket. =-.

14. The Beggy Groin says:

When did Strayun men become such bloody crybabies? Keith Miller would be spinning like a top.

A vaguely related anecdote:

I was giving a speech at my sisters’ wedding. More than a little the worse for wear, I lost my reading place on the crumpled scrap of paper I was using as a cue card. I then spent what seemed like an eternity with head bowed, searching on the page for the next line.

Now, my sister was marrying a Seppo, so the hall of the Queensland Cultural Centre was full of earnest, irony and pisstake free midwest Americans who interpreted this vision of drunken swaying and intense downward gaze as an emotional choke up, a la Shane Watson.
    I almost shat myself in fright at first when they started that hollywood cliche ‘one person slow clapping quickly moving into full applause’ thingy and I suppose I then confused the hell out of them by then having a fit of the giggles.
    It goes without saying that I was steered clear of those in-laws for some time – in fact my sister didn’t forgive me until after the divorce a few years later.
    She’s just eloped with her latest (American) husband.

15. Lou says:

Ha, ha, ha. One of my sisters married a man from Oregon and the almost continual look of confusion on the faces of his parents when having more than a few words with random Aussies at the wedding was bloody hilarious.

16. An Aussie almost choking? That too, the one who is supposed to be the MVP. Man, Kim Hughes would be vindicated.

17. LL says:

LL, you weren’t telling me it when he opened for Queensland…

Course not he was a crap opener then… then came IPL1, the cows blood and the pact with the devil.

18. LL says:

The old Jrod would have posted a picture of Hales :( even though she is blond (probably).

19. Lou says:

Twatto genuinely seems to think people will love him now because of this award.

Lee Furlong must sometimes wonder what she is doing with that bimbo on her arm.

20. Mock Wah says:

Love him or hate him.. He won the Champions trophy and got his mates the “prestigious” white jacket, he deserves it ! It was his year!! apart frm Freddie being Jesus ofcourse and Afridi u kno y!
    .-= Mock Wah´s last blog ..DLF IPL 3.0 – Shane Warne, Royals & Vastu Shastra =-.