Strauss hates runners

The other night I had a go at Strauss for calling back Mathews after he had run into Graham Onions.

The umpires had told Mathews he was out, but then Strauss gestured to the umpires for him to be brought back on the ground.

I thought it was disgusting behavior.

Last night Strauss redeemed himself.

He didn’t allow Graeme Smith a runner.

Technically, and by technically I mean in the laws of cricket, the fielding team has no say in it. Just like he didn’t technically call back Mathews, he withdrew his appeal. How he did that from 5 metres away with a hand gesture that mimed waiving him back onto the pitch.

It is the umpire’s call on a runner, the umpires clearly didn’t think a runner was the right option, but went to Strauss to see if he cared, he did.

But not for the reasons I thought, “fuck him it is only cramp”, he had an almost theological reason, he doesn’t believe in runners.

Had Smith had a broken leg Strauss probably would have let him have a runner, but for cramp he put his foot down.

I personally don’t think having cramp is a good enough reason for a runner, but now I am drawn by Strauss’ theory to abolish runners altogether.

There are few greater sites than when a batsman gets injured and starts swinging away, it has a gladiatorial feel to it, but then the impish waddle to backward square leg often ruins it for me. If he has to run and deal with the pain on every level that is truly a supreme effort of bravery and heroics. Also, watching Smith trying to run after big heaves really made me feel warm.

But then what about the comical run outs. Sure the hobbling might get a few runs out, but runner’s run outs are great. No one knows where anyone is, the fielders throw to the wrong end, there are 3 batsmen all behind one crease and even the umpires take a few seconds to look around and work everything out.

Do we want that taken from the game?

I don’t know.

I will never agree with cramps getting a runner, and this is from someone who gets massive cramps and has when he was in peak fitness, and now in unpeak fitness.

But to abolish the runner altogether, is that the way to go…

Tagged , , , , ,

0 thoughts on “Strauss hates runners

1. Brett says:

A cramp is not an injury. Fatigue is not an injury.

Tough it out.

2. Jonathan says:

Runners are fun, especially when there are four batsmen on the field.

3. Pete says:

I’d get rid of runners, than teams could start planning Tonya Harding style mysterious late night ankle smashings and the like. That would add some spice to the game.

4. Hewy says:

Healy to Ranatunga…
    ‘You don’t get a runner for being an overweight, unfit, fat cunt’

5. poopsie says:

Hewy, I heard that Haddin said that to Smith in Sydney after Johnson busted his hand, and the fat fucker didn’t even ask for a runner.

Even more unsubstantiated was that he also said the second half of that sentence to Kallis, but then again, everyone calls Kallis and overweight, unfit, fat cunt.

6. Darren says:

The problem is that the whole thing has only taught batsman the world over one thing – lie. Instead of “I’m cramping badly” say “I tweaked a muscle”. I think runners should always be allowed or they should never be allowed. None of this case by case, whichever way the wind blows bullsh*t.

7. hi says:

Chris Gayle batting when injured is a must watch

8. Sunny says:

does GOD use a runner?!

9. Mark A says:

I’m torn.
    A part of me says abolish the runner, (along with the sub fielder for “tired”batsmen) especially for fat fucks and old cunts (did I really just type that)
    BUT, I do love the chaos and confusion. Then, Pete’s theory has merit……………………..

and hi, Chris Gayle batting is a must watch (full stop)

10. greg says:

I seem to recall Strauss using a runner for a while in a ODI match in India in April 2006 until

“The sapping heat gradually took its toll on Strauss and he cramped up on 76, retiring hurt”

Quote from:

11. greg says:

Also http://www.cricinfo.com/indveng/content/story/244146.html

Strauss first batted with a runner and then had to eave the field because of cramps he hoped to be fully fit for the last one-dayer at Indore. “Towards the end of my innings every shot I played, I was cramping up.”

What a pussy.

12. Sunny says:

nice work greg. they don’t call them whingeing poms for nothing.

13. Cricket Bats says:

Runners should be allowed at the discretion of the umpires, the opposing team captain should not be involved.

14. mrpopodopolous says:

This should probably set a precedent, but given Strauss used one in India 3 years ago in an ODI for cramp, it does seem a little hypocritical. Mind you, he made a fine gesture regarding Mathews so I suppose it all evens out.

15. jogesh99 says:

what if the runner gets cramps?

16. jogesh99 says:

Mr mrpopodopolous, what evens out, his cricketing karma?